Nowadays more operations can be handled electronically without going to the office. However, many require the signature of certain documents, therefore it is important to know how to electronically sign a PDF, as well as digital tools to do this directly from our device.
This article explains the steps to electronically sign a PDF and how Viafirma can help you automate processes and strengthen the level of security.
Steps to electronically sign a PDF with Adobe Acrobat DC
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is the best software for opening, editing and signing PDF documents but with low security level. Click here to download the tool for free
Follow the steps below:
- Install Adobe on your PC and open the document you want to eSign
- Go to the tools tab
- Look for the option Fill & Sign and press it so that it automatically takes us back to the document
- Click on the sign tab
- Select the option add signature and draw your signature with the mouse, stylus pen or with your finger if you are using a touch screen. You can also scan it and attach it as an image.
- Finally, place the signature on the document
Steps to electronically sign a PDF with the Macbook Trackpad
There are other ways to electronically sign a PDF without using Adobe if we are using Mac. Please follow the steps below:
- Locate the document and then right-click
- Preview the document
- Click on the briefcase for the toolbar and select the signature icon
- Draw your signature with the trackpad and press the Enter key.
- Click Done and place the signature on the document
This signature complies with the requirements of a digitized signature, which is the one that is made with a mouse or trackpad or written on a piece of paper and then scanned and placed in the document.
This can be considered a simple electronic signature, as it does not gather enough evidence to uniquely identify the signatory. Viafirma does not recommend using it for important procedures since it is a less secure option that can be forged without prior consent.
Electronically sign a PDF with digital certificate
The safest to sign a document with Adobe is by using our personal or corporate digital certificate. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Search for the tools tab and click on Certificates
- It will take you back to the document, click on Digitally Sign and plot a box to position the digital certificate signature on the document
Unfortunately, very few citizens hold a certificate for these procedures as it is a bit complex to request one and there is not enough information about the benefit it offers.
SPOILER: Viafirma offers secure solutions to sign and send PDF documents for signature. Therefore users who do not have a certificate are fully able to sign electronically with full legal guarantees
Safer ways to electronically sign a PDF
Viafirma provides safer signature solutions compared to the digitized signature. Each solution is designed to cover complex processes for different business scenarios. Our tools are legally binding and will hold up in any court of law.
Below are a some ways to eSign documents with our solutions:
- Biometric signature. The best alternative to the digitized signature. It’s the traditional handwritten signature drawn on tablets or pads with a precision stylus capable of collecting biometric data
- SMS OTP. It’s an SMS code sent to the signatory’s mobile phone to sign anywhere.
- Digital certificate signature. The user must hold a certificate issued by a Trust Service Provider which certifies the user’s identity.
- Cloud signature. The user may access their certificate stored on an cloud server (HSM) anywhere, on any device.
Viafirma solutions for greater security
A signature that has been scanned and attached as an image or drawn with the mouse cannot be compared to one that has been created using special electronic signature platforms such as the ones offered by Viafirma.
Furthermore, our tool has a set of features to adapt to the requirements of our customers. Below are just a few of them:
- The option of signing JSON, Word or PDF documents.
- The incorporation of legal electronic evidence (video, audio, image, etc.) attached the document to strengthen the security of the document.
- Setting complex signature workflows between signatories.
- The server-based signature without required user interaction by simply uploading any valid certificate to the platform.
- The signer will not need to install any application when sending documents for signature, instead, he/she will sign directly online.
As mentioned above, our top priority is the legal validity and security of the whole process. That is why all signatory data will always be encrypted and can only be will only be revealed upon request of a judge.
It’s time to handle documents more efficiently