Each year that passes, mobility gains more weight and importance for technology users. Therefore, it is essential to closely monitor the progress of mobility trends in order to know the market and its needs. We started in 2018 doing this review.
As in recent years, we look back to analyze trends in the use of operating systems, browsers and searchers during 2017, where we emphasize desktop computers and mobile devices. In addition, we compare the data obtained in this year that just ended with those of 2016, to see more clearly the trends that happen in these markets.
As shown by the data obtained by NetmarketShare, quotas between mobile and desktop devices vary, and this is something that companies must focus on to adapt to the needs of users.
In a recent study by Google, named “The year of the mobile majority”, highlights the smartphone as the most used connected device (71% of the population), although other new devices are added to the list and we can see how the mobile ecosystem continues in expansion.
From viafirma we are aware of this and we continue to bet on solutions that take mobility into account, such as viafirma documents and viafirma inbox. We show you coming up next the trends of the past year.
Mobility Trends: Browsers
We begin this review for 2017 mobility with the most used browsers on desktops and mobile devices and with their respective comparison with the 2016 data.
Most used browsers in desks
Google Chrome leadership is more than evident in the graphics, achieving an average share of almost 60% in 2017. In the lower parts, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer (IE) fight for the second position with 13%, even though IE had a slump at the beginning of the year, but managed to recover slightly at the end. Edge and Safari remain in the lowest around the 3-4% share.
In relation to the year 2016, there was a rise of Chrome to reach stability in 2017, in addition to the decrease of Internet Explorer until reaching its minimum this past year. The rest of browsers stay in the low part, although Firefox did not manage to consolidate that ascending tendency with which it ended 2016.
Most used browsers on mobile devices
Looking back to 2016, the same situation we saw on desks is repeated. Chrome’s upward and downward trend in Safari consolidated in more stable data during 2017.
Trends in mobility: Operating Systems
Next, we left browsers behind to see the progression of operating systems, both desktop computers and mobile devices.
Most Operating Systems used in Desktops
As usual, Windows remains as number one of use in desktop operating systems with a huge difference, achieving almost 90% share. In second place with 8%, is Mac OS, and in third position with just 2% is Linux.
The situation in the operating systems remains practically identical in relation to the year 2016. Although Mac OS had a small increase at the beginning of the year, the average remained the same.
Operating Systems most used in Mobile Devices
The market for mobile operating systems continues to be dominated by the two most important agents. Android gets almost 70% share, while iOS almost 30%, which is practically the totality.
In 2016, the situation was very similar. Android first, with a very similar share, and iOS in second place, a little below the 30% achieved in 2017.
Trends in mobility: Searchers
The search engine market is usually very predictable, with Google in the lead, but it is always interesting to analyze the trends that occur throughout the year.
Most used searchers in desktops
As expected, Google is in first place as the search engine most used in desktop computers, dominating three quarters of the market. Following it is Baidu, the search engine par excellence of the Chinese market, with a 10% share. Bing and Yahoo stay behind with less than 10% each.
The situation in 2016 was very similar, with Google at the top and the rest of search engines fighting for a quarter of the market share. The percentage of Google is slightly lower in 2017 and the percentage of Baidu slightly higher, but the positions remain.
Most used searchers in mobile devices
In mobile devices, Google’s monopoly is even higher, reaching more than 90% of the quota and leaving only less than 10% for the rest. The Chinese searcher Baidu remains in a second position, with only 3%.
In 2016, Google was still the most used search engine with 95%, slightly higher than in 2017. The most outstanding thing is the rise that Baidu has achieved. When in 2016 it had less than 1% share and, as we have seen, this year it has reached 3%, placing itself in second position.
We have already reviewed how it has been the use of operating systems, browsers and searchers throughout the year 2017, discovering which trends have followed the most important companies and what differences are between users of desktop and mobile devices. We hope you have been served and that it will help you to start this 2018 up to date with technology mobility. See you soon!