To perform a backup or use a digital certificate on another computer, we must first export it by following these steps:
- Click on the Start button and then «Run», type certmgr.msc and then pressed Enter. To perform this step is required administrator rights. Or from the browser, access the menu «Tools», «Internet Options», «Content» tab. In the section «certificates», click on «Certificates» and after select the tab «Personal».
- Right-click on the certificate you wish to export, select All Tasks, then click on Export.
- In the Certificate Export Wizard, click on Next.
- If you need to use this certificate on another computer, click on export the private key . Otherwise, click on not export the private key and click on Next. (This option appears only if the private key is marked as exportable and you have access to it).
- Select the format you wish to use, and then click Next.
Note: The format you choose depends on what you want to give the certificate. For a certificate with a private key, use the Personal Information Exchange format. If you want to move multiple certificates in a file from one computer to another, use the syntax standard for message encryption. If you must use a certificate on more than one operating system, use the DER encoded binary format X.509.
- If you choose to export the private key, you must enter the password you want to use to encrypt the key. Confirm and click on Next.
- The export process creates a file that is stored in the certificate. At this point you must indicate the name and location of the file (include the full path) or click on Browse, and write the file name.
- Click on Finish and it is done.